Saturday 28 April 2012

Lucky Lupitas


Adelaide's South Just Got Lucky


While it is easy in Adelaide, and even more so in the southern suburbs, to get excited about any vaguely edible Mexican food, Lucky Lupitas is sure to please even the most discerning eaters.  Despite my limited experience and expertise in the field of Mexican and South American cuisine, I do know when I'm eating something good, and last night, I was eating something good.

This tiny eatery has become very busy in the couple of months it has been open and as they don't take bookings, an available table can be hard to come by (I arrived to pick up my takeaway just after 6pm and there were only a couple of tables free).  My first piece of advice would be to get there early, but failing that, I suppose you need to be prepared to wait.  The difficulty with waiting is that there aren't any nearby bars to go have a drink at, so you pretty much have to sit on a bench out front which might be a bit of a challenge when winter truly kicks in (although according to their Facebook page they are getting outdoor heaters soon, and you can sip on a Prickly Pear Margarita while you wait, which certainly eases the pain). If your aesthetic sensibilities appreciate the beauty of shabby chic, the interior of Lucky Lupitas, with its festive and eclectic wall decorations, mismatched glassware, homely rickety furniture, makeshift fixtures and open kitchen, makes the wait for a table worthwhile.


When ordering, don't expect to see a menu that resembles Old El Paso's supermarket range; there is (and they proudly advertise this fact) not a Burito or bowl of Chile con Carne in sight. And while I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion that authenticity automatically equates to good food (I'm not above hoovering a burito at the conclusion of a night out, and spaghetti carbonara and chicken tikka masala are both positive developments in my book) I was encouraged to see Lucky Lupitas choosing a menu that distinguishes it from Adelaide's current offerings.


I chose to start with some street food; empanadas and quesadilla.  The Smoked Chicken Empanadas were freshly cooked and the filling was succulent.  For me the 'smokiness' of the filling was a bit much, tasting burnt, but I admit that, in general, I am not a massive fan of this kind of strong charred flavouring. The Quesadilla de Polo y Championes (chicken and mushroom quesadilla), with its tasty chicken, spinach, a generous amount of mushrooms and oozing cheese was absolutely delicious.  For main course, I ordered Chilaqulies con Pollo (Chicken Nachos) which looked unprepossessing, but were not only full of flavour, they were exceedingly fun to eat (I love getting involved with my food).  My takeaway package included a container each of sour cream, and house made tomato salsa and guacamole and I got to work dipping, scooping and pouring as I made my way through the pile of spice encrusted totopos interspersed with seasoned pieces of chicken and beans, and covered in a layer of cheese and guacamole. In terms of serving size, the dishes ranged from sensible to generous and the above comfortably fed me and my husband.***

Overall I was highly impressed with Lucky Lupitas.  Management have made a strong commitment to fresh food and authentic flavours and they have created an eatery with a convivial atmosphere and casual class, ensuring that you leave feeling full and tummy happy with thoughts of 'next time...'.


***At this point in writing the review I was possessed with an unfightable urge for more Lucky Lupitas.  This time, we ate in and found the service friendly and attentive. It is worth noting that the tables are squeezed in quite close together, which is great for making friends with nearby diners, but perhaps a little confronting if you like space and privacy.  My husband had a Hamburguesa Hogao which consisted of a succulent burger and tasty sauce with the prominent flavours of onion and cumin. I had the Lucky Ribs, smoky, slow cooked beef ribs which were so tender, a loving nudge with my fork saw the meat flake off the bone.  Anticipating a rich, greasy meat, I ordered them with Chimichurri Salsa which certainly provided vinegary freshness, but the ribs didn't actually necessitate a piquant counterbalance; next time I plan to have the chipotle bbq sauce.

Where?
Lucky Lupitas
1/4 Rupert Ave, Bedford Park, 5042
82774004


Lucky Lupitas on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I had a quick lunch here today. I'd driven past a few times and thought it looked like a place I'd enjoy so I'm glad we finally got there today. We were not disappointed and have already planned to go back later in the week. It is exciting to have an eatery of this style in the burbs ;). Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there for dinner last night and it was super yum! Can't wait to write about it!

    http://morethanchurches.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete